Taylor Budowich is director of communications for Trump’s post-2020 election money maker, the Save America PAC, which has donated large sums to the Conservative Partnership Institute and the America First Policy Institute. He is also president of Conservative Strategies, a company he incorporated in California on Jan. 6, 2021, possibly to shield funds being raised under false premises after Trump lost the election.
Prior to becoming the former president’s current spokesperson, Budowich worked for his son, Donald Trump, Jr. He initially got involved in politics when he was in his 20s and served as a very young executive director of the Tea Party Express PAC during the Obama presidency. In that role, he proved adept at capitalizing on financial opportunities while avoiding risk.
In October 2022, as the Justice Department continued its investigation into the thousands of government documents Trump had illegally taken to his residence at Mar-a-Lago, Budowich angrily defended the former president. In a statement released to NBC News, he made factually inaccurate claims in saying: “The Biden administration has weaponized law enforcement and fabricated a Document Hoax in a desperate attempt to retain political power. Every other President has been given time and deference regarding the administration of documents, as the President has the ultimate authority to categorize records, and what materials should be classified.”
January 6, 2021
- Budowich incorporated Conservative Strategies, a for-profit company with a perhaps purposely unclear mission, in California on the same day as the insurrection at the Capitol.
- In November 2021, the House Select Committee investigating the attack on the Capitol subpoenaed Budowich to find out more about the approximately $200,000 he paid to an unnamed 501(c)4 organization to conduct a radio and social media campaign to encourage as many people as possible to protest in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 6.
- In late December 2021, Budowich sat for four hours of testimony with the House Select Committee and sent hundreds of pages of bank documents, which he then sued to try to have destroyed or returned.
The Big Lie
- In June 2022, as the House Select Committee began holding public hearings to share its findings with the American people, Budowich told Insider: “The entire MAGA movement is united against this illegitimate committee and will work to ensure President Trump is defended against yet another Democrat show trial.”
- In July 2022, when House Select Committee Co-chair Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) announced that Trump had attempted to contact an unnamed witness testifying before the committee, Budowich shot back, tweeting: “The media has become pawns of the Unselect Committee. Liz Cheney continues to traffic in innuendos and lies that go unchallenged, unconfirmed, but repeated as fact because the narrative is more important than the truth.”
- In January 2023, Budowich was still pushing lies for Trump, telling Fox News that as the 2024 presidential race begins to take shape: ““President Trump will not only dominate the Republican primary, but he will unite the nation around his America First agenda that produced generational economic prosperity, global peace and safe communities. MAGA Inc. will ensure any RINOs or self-serving politicians who decide to challenge President Trump are exposed and their political futures are extinguished for good.”