Dan Meuser (R-Pa.) has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2019, representing Pennsylvania’s 9th Congressional District. He ran for his third term in 2022 and won in his solidly Republican district.
Meuser participates in many committees and caucuses, including the Congressional Candy Caucus, the Congressional Critical Materials Caucus, the Problem Solvers Caucus, and the far-right Republican Study Committee. He previously served as Pennsylvania’s Secretary of Revenue from 2011–15 and was an executive at Pride Mobility Products, a small healthcare products manufacturer.
In 2021, Meuser faced House ethics charges for failing to report stock buys that proved highly lucrative. According to Legistorm, he “failed to report in a timely way that his wife and children purchased as much as $600,000 worth of stock at the depths of the pandemic stock market crash.” However, the congressman blamed “administrative error” and eventually reported the buys to the House Ethics Committee, which fined him a mere $200.
After the 2020 presidential election, Meuser adhered to the GOP playbook by helping to spread the Big Lie. He objected to certifying Biden’s Electoral College win and voted against both impeaching Trump for inciting the mob and establishing a special House committee to investigate the insurrection, among other measures.
January 6, 2021
- Just hours after Trump supporters stormed the Capitol, Meuser joined 146 other congressional Republicans in refusing to certify Biden’s win of the 2020 presidential election.
- Meuser voted against impeaching Trump for his role in instigating the attack on Congress and the Capitol, and for fanning the flames once the riot broke out. Speaking on the House floor, he said: “It is very important now to avoid actions that would further divide our people. An impeachment proceeding would only bolster such division.”
- Meuser voted against establishing a House committee to investigate what led to the violent assault on the Capitol and disruption of the congressional procedure underway that day.
The Big Lie
- In an appearance on Fox News on Nov. 11, 2020, Meuser said that voter fraud was so severe that he described America as no longer adhering to the principle of one citizen, one vote.
- On Dec. 1, 2020, Meuser signed a letter to the Attorney General Bill Barr urging the Justice Department to investigate accusations of fraud in the presidential election.
- On Dec. 4, 2020, Meuser published an op-ed in the Reading Eagle in which he called for stronger election security and noted that voters are “rightfully upset and concerned about the irregular actions that occurred in the past election.”
- On Dec. 10, 2020, he signed an amicus brief in a lawsuit filed by the state of Texas urging the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the results of the presidential election in four swing states: Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- In refusing to certify the 2020 presidential election results, Meuser cited “a large number of Pennsylvanians [who] are enormously frustrated with actions taken by elected and appointed officials in Pennsylvania, which have led to a high level of distrust for this past election.”
- He claimed that various states allowed unconstitutional voting practices during the 2020 election, such as “accepting ballots past 8:00 pm on Election Day,” “inconsistent application of verified signature requirements for in-person ballots versus mail-in ballots,” and “authorizing the curing of mail-in ballots with less than a 24-hour’s notice, leading to inconsistent preparedness between counties.”
Top contributors for the 2020 election cycle.
The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organization's PAC, its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families.
|Pride Mobility Products||$27,500.00||$8,000.00||$19,500.00|
|American Bankers Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|Carpenters & Joiners Union||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|Majority Cmte PAC||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|National Auto Dealers Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|No Labels Problem Solvers||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|Operating Engineers Union||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|