Mark Wayne (“Markwayne”) Mullin (R-Okla.) has represented Oklahoma’s 2nd Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2013. In 2022, he ran for a special Senate seat (to replace retiring Sen. Jim Inhofe) with Trump’s endorsement and won in the deep red state.
Mullin previously managed his family business, Mullin West—which includes a plumbing company, a ranch, and other assets described as “a small-business empire”—but had never held public office before running for Congress.
Shortly after he began his first term, the House Ethics Committee began a five-year ethics investigation into how Mullin was being compensated by his own business while serving as a congressman. In August 2018, the committee determined that he had made a “good faith” effort to seek informal guidance on issues related to his family businesses, but since he didn’t follow that guidance it ordered him to repay $40,000 to Mullin West.
After the 2020 presidential election, Mullin adhered to the GOP playbook by spreading the Big Lie, objecting to certifying Biden’s Electoral College win and voting against both impeaching Trump for inciting the mob and establishing a special House committee to investigate the insurrection, among other measures
January 6, 2021
- Just hours after pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol, Mullin joined 146 other congressional Republicans in refusing to certify Biden’s win of the 2020 presidential election..
- Mullin rejected impeaching Trump for his role in instigating the attack on Congress and the Capitol, and for fanning the flames once the riot broke out. He defended Trump by stating: “We are responsible for our own actions, period. And if you’re going to lay blame like that on President Trump, then where was the outcry with the other members of Congress in the Democrat Party when they were saying the most ridiculous things about the president and accusing him of the most ridiculous stuff along the way for the last five years?”
- Mullin voted against establishing a House committee to investigate the genesis of the violent assault on the Capitol and disruption of the congressional procedure underway that day. He called it “a partisan commission that will only look to point fingers and find someone to blame.”
The Big Lie
- In a local TV interview on Nov. 12, 2020, Mullin claimed that he had obtained “real evidence” of voter fraud from “real people,” but neglected to provide that evidence.
- Mullin released a statement on Dec. 9, 2020 saying that he had “signed a letter to President Trump asking him to direct Attorney General Barr to appoint a Special Counsel to investigate irregularities in the 2020 election.”
- On Dec. 10, 2020, Mullin signed an amicus brief in a lawsuit filed by the state of Texas urging the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the results of the presidential election in four swing states: Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- On Jan. 3, 2021, Mullin tweeted that “due to all of the fraud and uncertainty surrounding the 2020 election there is no way I can vote to certify the Electoral College.”
- In January 2022, Mullin voted against H.R. 5746, the NASA Enhanced Use Leasing Extension Act of 2021, saying that “Democrats are trying to rewrite the rules of our democracy because that’s the only way for them to ram through their socialist agenda,” and that the bill “has nothing to do with election reform and everything to do with Democrats’ desperation to hold on to power.”
- In September 2022, Mullin joined all but nine House Republicans in voting against the Presidential Election Reform Act meant to ensure the validity of the Electoral College process along with the peaceful transition of power from one presidential administration to the next.
Top contributors for the 2020 election cycle.
The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organization's PAC, its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families.
|Blue Cross/Blue Shield||$17,500.00||$17,500.00||$0.00|
|Case & Assoc Properties||$11,200.00||$0.00||$11,200.00|
|Ngl Energy Partners||$11,200.00||$0.00||$11,200.00|
|American Crystal Sugar||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|American Optometric Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|American Resort Development Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|Automotive Free International Trade PAC||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|Building Leadership & Inspiring New Enterprise||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|