Bill Posey (R-Fla.) has served Florida’s 8th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2009. He ran for his eight term in 2022 with Trump’s endorsement and won.
Prior to serving in Congress, Posey was a member of the Florida Senate from 2000–08 and a member of Florida House of Representatives from 1992–2000, earning a Legislator of the Year award during that period from the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). In the private sector, he founded Posey & Co. Realtors and over the course of 30 years in the industry, served as a director of the Florida Association of Realtors and president of the Space Coast Association of Realtors.
During his 2018 race against Democratic challenger Sanjay Patel, Posey was forced to apologize after making disparaging comments about some of his opponent’s constituents, noting that they live in “the dumpiest house in the neighborhood” and are “damned deplorables.”
Posey is a member of the far-right Republican Study Committee, and after the 2020 presidential election, he adhered to the GOP playbook by casting doubt on the legitimacy of the process. He would not certify Biden’s Electoral College win and voted against both impeaching Trump for inciting the mob and establishing a special House committee to investigate the insurrection, among other measures.
After the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago in August 2022, the congressman continued to show his fealty to the former president, issuing a statement that read, in part: “The left and their woke allies in Washington have been obsessed with their phony narratives and disproven conspiracy theories about Donald Trump for the last seven years. He is the most investigated president in history and nothing criminal has turned up. Yet, the same Department of Justice and FBI weaponized against President Trump has turned a blind eye to decades of the Biden Family’s corrupt business practices and influence peddling…”
January 6, 2021
- Just hours after pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol, Posey joined 146 other congressional Republicans in refusing to certify Biden’s win of the 2020 presidential election.
- Posey voted against impeaching Trump for his role in inciting the mob that disrupted congressional certification of the election, contending that although the former president’s “sins may be different than yours or mine, they are clearly not treasonous.”
- Posey voted against establishing a House committee to investigate the Jan. 6 attack.
The Big Lie
- On Nov. 12, 2020, Posey’s op-ed on voter fraud was published in the Daily Caller. “It’s disheartening to see what has been transpiring this year with so many reports of irregularities, disenfranchisement and …widespread voter fraud,” he wrote. “We may never know the extent of voter fraud that has taken place in the 2020 election, but we do know that fraud and allegations of fraud undermine the confidence in our election and of those who are elected.”
- After Biden won, Posey wrote or signed on to a series of letters, including two to Attorney General Bill Barr, on Nov. 6 and Dec. 1, 2020, urging the Justice Department to investigate irregularities and accusations of fraud in the 2020 presidential election.
- On Dec. 10, 2020, Posey signed an amicus brief in a lawsuit filed by the state of Texas urging the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the results of the presidential election in four swing states: Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- On Dec. 31, 2020, Posey tweeted: “GA Senate Election Subcommittee unanimously approved report finding ‘November 3, 2020 election was chaotic and the results cannot be trusted.’ I will not turn a blind eye to this election fraud on Jan 6th.”
On Jan. 4, 2021, Posey told a local TV news channel in Florida that he would object to certifying the Electoral College results, claiming that “there has not been a serious investigation by federal agencies into the growing body of evidence of election fraud.”
Top contributors for the 2020 election cycle.
The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organization's PAC, its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families.
|House Freedom Fund||$19,300.00||$10,000.00||$9,300.00|
|Pet Flavors Inc||$11,200.00||$0.00||$11,200.00|
|Jacobs Engineering Group||$10,150.00||$10,000.00||$150.00|
|American Bankers Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|American Hotel & Lodging Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|American Society of Anesthesiologists||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|
|Credit Union National Assn||$10,000.00||$10,000.00||$0.00|