Robert Patrick Lewis is a founding member of 1st Amendment Praetorian (1AP), a right-wing paramilitary organization with ties to some of the most prominent election deniers and extremists in Trump’s inner circle, especially former general and National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.
Lewis has publicly claimed to have been involved in efforts to keep Trump in office despite his election loss, and has spoken publicly about his ties to another far-right extremist group, the Oath Keepers.
January 6, 2021
- Lewis was spoke at the Rally for Revival, an event at Washington’s Freedom Plaza on Jan. 5, 2021. He was joined that day by as many as 25 members of 1st Amendment Praetorian acting as security, and was introduced by Cindy Chafian, a speaker at the event who is associated with the Eighty Percent Coalition and was also at the Capitol during the insurrection. She told the crowd that 1st Amendment Praetorian were “integrated into the crowds keeping you safe.”
- “This is our Delaware,” Lewis told the crowd, referencing George Washington’s historic Revolutionary War crossing of the Delaware River.
- Lewis continued his military rhetoric the following day, tweeting: “Today is the day the true battle begins.”
The Big Lie
- On Dec. 18, 2020, Lewis drove Sidney Powell and former general Flynn to the White House for a meeting in which the pair attempted to convince President Trump to seize voting machines.
- Following the 2020 election, Lewis promoted lies and conspiracy theories about election fraud on a near-daily basis on his Twitter account. On Jan. 13, 2022, he tweeted that the people who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 were simply protesting a “rigged election,” but were subsequently being “hunted by the American KGB.”